Chairman of Partners | Sydney Office
+61 2 9390 8302
John practices in dispute resolution, in securities enforcement, insolvency, trade practices, insurance and re-insurance, general commercial and equity and international and domestic arbitration. In 2009, John was appointed a judicial member of the Administrative Decisions Tribunal of New South Wales.
Since 2014, he has been a senior member (part-time) of the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal sitting on the Administrative and Equal Opportunity and Occupational Division and on the Appeal Panel. He is a fellow and past president of the Australian branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Vice Chairman of the Australian International Disputes Centre, a fellow of the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration and have been elected as Chair of the Australian Dispute Centre. John teaches and regularly speaks on current issues in ADR.
John's dispute resolution experience extends through Federal and State Courts, as well as international / domestic arbitration for contracting entities, lenders and borrowers, insurers and re-insurers.
Firstly his team works to understand the objectives of their clients. They then proceed effectively and efficiently at each stage of the process to achieve those objectives. They manage to resolve 90% of disputes before hearing. For those cases which do go to court, they work in their client’s interest to control the process and the variables which come into play to best effect.
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow of the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
- Accredited Specialist Commercial Litigation
- Board Member of the Australian International Disputes Centre 2013 - 2014
- Part-time judicial member of the Administrative Decisions Tribunal of NSW (Legal Services Division and Equal Opportunities Division) 2009 - 2013
- Part-time senior member of NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (Occupational Division, Administrative, Equal Opportunity Division and Appeal Panel) 2014
- Chairman, Australian Branch, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2010-2013
- Former court appointed arbitrator under Civil Procedure Act, 2005, Supreme Court of NSW, District Court of NSW and Local Court of NSW
- Independent member of ACICA Arbitrator Advisory Board 2011 - 2014
- Former visiting lecturer in International Commercial Arbitration, Australian School of Business, UNSW